[DMCForum] Re: My Delorean is for sale

Now I know why Dave *sigh*'s so damn much.

Ok, let's go ahead, and break it down like this. Dictionary.com lists
the definetions for what we're trying to define here as follows:

"Tuning"
"To adjust (an engine, for example) for maximum usability or performance."

"Physical Verbs: "Tune Up"
"To adjust a machine so as to put it into proper condition."

Ok. Tuning an engine would specificly deal with in this case geting an
engine to run at it's peak performance. And we would of course break
this down to several subsets which work in tandem with one another"
Efficieny in combustion to maximize the buring of fuel. Efficiency in
harnessing kinetic energy in said combustion, and putting it to work.
Now, while there are many variables inside of an engine, the only ones
that tune are the ones with dynamic variables. Ignition, heat
transference, and fuel ratios. While you can change certain static
settings such as compression ratio, oil/water flow rates when building
an engine, these settings are static, because they are parts with
specific values that are exchanged with on another. Hence you do NOT
*tune* any of them. Their values are specific, and not variable.
Ignition factors, such as the above mentioned air/fuel ratios,
ignition timing, and combustion chamber temperatures. Which are all
affected by the above Static values.

Now, with that said, let's make something clear. When an engine kicks
out more power, it's typicly going to run hotter. Soooooo, in order to
accomodate the extra heat, you increase the capacity/displacement of
the cooling system. Bigger radiator, increase coolant pipe size, fan
CFM, heat sink displacement (air cooled), etc... You do not tune an
engine to accomodate a cooling system. You build a cooling system to
accomodate an engine's needs. Where have you ever in your life seen a
textbook that suggests adjusting the combustion variables of an
engine, to reduce coolant temperatures?

Now, let's get back to those cooling fans, because you didn't read my
installed. Cooling fans increase the airflow across the radiator, to
ensure proper cooling. Now cars are mannufactured with the expection
that they are going to drive anywhere on a public road, and will
encounter all sorts of traffic conditions. Including stop and go
traffic. So therefore, the car needs to have properly operating
cooling fans installed to function as intended. Because according to
your last post, "Again being mindful of being stuck in traffic, the
temps will rise.". So what you're telling me, is that this car cannot
be operated in normal traffic, because it cannot function as intended,
SINCE IT HAS NO COOLING FANS! Hell, even your friend there stated "3am
Shenanigans". So I suppose then that this car even has problems
operating in the daylight hours too then.

Now, lets talk about those rising temperatures. An engine has a
specific temperature zone that it needs to be in. Too low, poor
combustion, too high, damage can occur. Now, you don't need to run a
motor @ 260°F+ until it blows a head gasket, or straight warps a
cylinder head. When you operate an engine at high-ass temperatures,
you begin to stretch the head gasket beyond it's tolerences. This will
form tiny little tears, and will significantly shorten it's life span.
This is even worse when you have various types of metal on either
side. I.e. Aluminum cylinder heads vs. Cast Iron blocks or cylinder
lingers. These metals will expand at two seperate rates, and will
cause both sides of the headgasket to literally pull in deperate
directions.

So in a nutshell, just because you didn't blow the engine this time,
doesn't mean that you haven't done any long-term damage to it. And it
would be all your fault, because without any cooling fans installed,
you allowed the engine to exceed it's thermal tolerences.

-Robert

Now, as one final addendum, you and your buddy there really need to
start getting your stories straight. Twice now you've jumped in to try
to help him, and he's left you to fend for yourself by recanting his
previous statements. Neither of you have and credebility.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "rotaryexperimental7"
<rotaryexperimental7@xxxx> wrote:
> He is accurate to an extent. If your cooling system is in good shape
> than running without cooling fans in sub-75degree climates is quite
> acceptable. Again being mindful of being stuck in traffic, the temps
> will rise.
>
> Most people look at 'tuning' a car as an overall care and maintenance
> of the vehicle... from fuel system to the lubricating systems,
> electronics and cooling, etc. Not the most definate term of 'true'
> tuning however it has become accepted among the populace as the word
> of choice.
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Got a wee bit o' the old alzheimers there, do we?
> >
> > Over on Tamir's site, you replied to Mark V with the following
> > statement when questioned about the lack of cooling fans:
> >
> > "Why not? A perfectly tuned DMC engine has no need for fans in colder
> > climates. Does your car run hot? If so, tune the darn thing!!!"
> >
> > What, if anything at all was taken out of context in your sentance?
> > Take a look at it for yourself if you can't seem to remember posting
> > that statement.
> >
> > http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15897#15897
> >
> > Once again, you try to twist your own words, by stating that others
> > took them out of context.
> >
> > -Robert
> >

> > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thomaspaulmccoy"
> > <thomaspaulmccoy@xxxx> wrote:
> > > Marc, the funny thing is that I never claimed the words that you
> > > wrote
> > > below. MarkV took my *sarcasm* out of context, and then good old
Baby
> > > Joey ran with it! The rest of the sin city rookies saw a ruckus &
> > > pulled out their nightsticks.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS