Re: [DMCForum] Clutch woes

Marc, you are the man.

My flywheel is 0.750 inches thick from front to back on the outer
ring. The difference between the inner and outer rings - as best as I
can measure with the little end rod on this caliper - is ~0.020
inches. Which, funny enough, ends up being about 0.50mm. Sweet! I
think that means there's nothing wrong with my flywheel.

OK, so here's my plan of action, please clarify if I'm wrong:

- Light sandpaper to the flywheel & pressure plate.
- Bolt it back together, use loc-tite on the pressure plate bolts
- Keep tightening the pressure plate until it's solid up against the
"pegs" on the flywheel

Then put the rest back together and pray. I think the pressure plate
not being as tight as it should be was the problem. I mean, the bolts
were tight when I took it off, but since this is the first time I
remember hearing, "keep tightening until..", I can only assume I
didn't do this properly last fall.

Hopefully this fixes it. If not, well, I can pull a transmission in
only a few hours now - with much of that time spent carefully getting
the car up onto four tall jack stands, taking my time so as not to
kill myself attempting something so foolish. With a proper lift & my
tools handy I think I could pull a tranny in an hour assuming no
unexpected problems like siezed bolts, etc. (Oh, and that time doesn't
include those rotten metal shields. I left those off. They were hell
getting off, virtually impossible to get on, not incredibly useful
that I know of, so they're sitting in a box for the rest of eternity.)

-Ryan