[DMCForum] Re: PRV oil problems? (Timing Chain Tensioners)

[DMCForum] Re: PRV oil problems? (Timing Chain Tensioners)

Problem is the pistons -- when they extend too far pressurized oil
shoots past them, down the cover, and back to the pan, leaving the
camshafts high & dry.

By 1979 Volvo was explicitly recommending regularly measuring piston
travel for this reason (which on a DeLorean of course entails removing
the timing chain cover, which entails removing the crankshaft pulley,
which entails removing the muffler...)

DMC oil spec was the same as Volvo at that time: 10W40. In 1984 a
Volvo TSB was issued reducing this to 10W30, retroactive to the
beginning of PRV usage (1976 B27). Alldata lists it as TSB #21112
April 1984. I don't have that particular TSB, but have what I think is
basically its equvalent as a supplement to my 1985 B28F Fault Tracing,
Repairs, and Maintenance manual. Text reads:

"NOTE! FOR GASOLINE ENGINES FROM MODEL YEAR 1985, THE SAE 10W40 HAS
BEEN DELETED FROM THE OIL SPECIFICATION CHART. COMPARED TO OTHER
VISCOSITIES, APPROVED BY VOLVO, THE SAE 10W40 COULD PRODUCE MORE
DEPOSITS IN THE ENGINE.

[ <u> ]DAMAGE CAUSED BY USING OIL QUALITIES [SF] OR VISCOSITIES [10W30
on the new chart] WHICH DO NOT COMPLY WITH VOLVO'S OIL SPECIFICATIONS
COULD VOID THE WARRANTY.[ </u ]

THE NEW SPECIFICATION IS ALSO RECOMMENDED FOR EARLIER MODELS."

Bill Robertson