[DMCForum] Re: Videos

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cleandmc" <cleandmc@xxxx> wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
>
> Not really sure where all the hostility is coming from on your
end.  I
> never claimed ownership over the video content, but I sure as hell
did
> package it so that enthusiasts can see it.
<SNIP>

I wanted to wait a couple days or so, to see if anyone would reply
after this post. And so far, I'm a bit disappointed that no one did.

It's nice of Tamir to post video snippets to his website. It offers a
chance to see some obscure footage, some previously unknown footage,
etc. Overall, anyone who is a fan of the car can most certainly
appriciate both the material itself, as well as the time and effort
put into making said material available.

With this said however, I seriously think that all things considered
here, I think that VideoBob has been unfairly gotten a bad rap here.
I honestly do not see the difference between what Tamir has done with
his website, and what VideoBob did for his. Both offered up DeLorean
material that they believed the community was interested in. Tamir
offers short clips for download and distribution off of his website,
and VB offers longer full length videos, available on DVD. And of
course he charges for his time to make said copies for others. He's
had to scan, and encode the video, as well as take the time to
contruct the DVD menus, etc., Just as Tamir took the time to scan,
encode, crop, and upload. And neihter are taking the time to lay
claim to any ownership.

Both do work to make this material available, as well as distribute
it. And neither is claiming ownership. And ironicly enough, both seem
to be motivated as well, because they love their cars. However, just
because someone doesn't charge a fee for someone else to view said
material, doesn't mean that they are legaly, nor morally exonerated
from any reprocussions and/or responsabilities. Nor does the fact
that the material has not been reproduced in it's entirety.

Now, why am I bringing this up? I don't like the hypocracy I'm seeing
here. No one was really bitching at VB when he was selling this
stuff, and everyone was buying DVDs from him. Not until religion was
brought into the picture, and suddenly everyone seemed to actively
turn on VB, because he expressed a strong disagreement with others in
his *spiritual* beliefs & POV. And THEN everyone wanted to run him
out of town on a rail, and nit-pick everything from his antennas, to
his LEDs, whereas you were all pretty passive about this beforehand.

Now, do I want either of these two to stop what they are doing? No.
Because I like seeing what is out there. The reasoning that the
archives should remain available is somewhat of a hollow belief in
the eyes of the law. I agree with it, but that doesn't justify it.
HOWEVER! I do NOT tolerate selective judgements against certain
people. You can't say that it's alright for one person to do
something, that you've condemned another for. It's all, or nothing.

-Robert