Re: [DMCForum] Re: DeLorean MPG

Now you guys know that Bill and I often don't see eye-to-eye, and on
readig this e-mail, I jumped in and calculated my own MPG based on a
surprisingly long trip in my own car. I remember the total cost of the
fuel (a shade under £40), the cost per litre (81.9p) filling an almost
dry tank to the brim, then driving from Newcastle to London without
filling - approx 275 miles, and had probably 20 miles left in the tank
on arrival. To cut a long story short, I thought the car did very well,
better than it ever did with a lambda system and cat (both now binned).
Using onlineconversion.com, and a calculator, this averaged out at just
under 20mpg where the g is US liquid gallon. If I were to work it out in
imperial gallons, well it drops to nearer 15!

I used 95 RON unleaded - which is our "regular" unleaded. Read below for
explanation (quote)

The most important characteristic of petrol is its Research Octane
Number (RON) or octane rating, which is a measure of how resistant
petrol is to premature detonation (knocking). It is measured relative to
a mixture of isooctane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane) and n-heptane. So an
87-octane petrol has the same knock resistance as a mixture of 87%
isooctane and 13% n-heptane.

There is another type of Octane, called "Motor Octane Number" (MON),
which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. Its
definition is also based on the mixture of isooctane and n-heptane that
has the same performance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the
MON of a modern petrol will be about 10 points lower than the RON.
Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the 'headline'
octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON: but in the United
States and some other countries the headline number is the average of
the RON and the MON, sometimes called the "roaD Octane Number" or DON,
or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above this means
that the octane in the United States will be about 5 points lower than
the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" petrol in the US
and Canada, would be 92 in Europe.

Martin