[DMCForum] Re: DeLorean MPG (Rich A)

The only real problem with your reply is the zip-tying to your
passenger seat. I'm having having difficulty picturing the logistics.
Chains, bungee cords, come-alongs -- I can envision those. But the zip
ties have me befuddled.

I am beginning to suspect the standard RPM xRef chart may need
revision. People with functioning speedo's report me driving in excess
of 75 MPH. I do try to hold it to 2,875 RPM (assuming my tach is
accurate).

It's also true that my single plane intake manifold is much happier
moving air in the upper RPM's. This is my first experience with single
plane manifolds (all my others are either dual plane or inline). Those
RPM ranges you see advertised in Edelbrock and Weiand literature are
there for a reason -- single plane manifolds are indeed less efficient
below 2,000 RPM. But once you open the throttle plates they are off to
the races. In fact, I find it difficult to keep my engine around 2,000
RPM. If I take my eyes off the gauges for too long, next time I look
down I'm running close to 3,000.

Letting the cat peek a little big out of the bag: an owner with NASCAR
access is preparing a limited production run of custom manufactured
carbureted PRV intake manifolds. I've warned him about single vs dual
plane. He may end up with a handful of screaming DeLoreans languishing
in the 16 MPG range.

Bill Robertson