Re: [DMCForum] Re: Videos

As I understand it, the front end recall just reinforces/strengthens the
connection where the stabilizer bar connects to the front frame
extension, and addresses issues with the types of nuts used on the
stabilizer bar/lower link and lower link/ball joint connections.  From
what I can tell, this didn't have anything to do with crash
testing...it's really only a suspension modification.

You could crash if the original or first set of replacement nuts fell
off the car while you were driving.  However, the strengthening
bracket's purpose is to add and distribute support of the connection
that the stabilizer bar has to the front frame extension.  It does
absolutely no good if your front frame extension is rusted to pieces, as
I'm sure Mike Luckey can tell you. (haha)

I suppose that the strengthening brackets might have a secondary effect
on reinforcing the front end in a collision...but I don't believe that
was it's intended purpose.

I may be wrong...but this is my interpretation of this setup, after
reading the recall and seeing what little effect it has in an actual
collision.  My front end was crumpled badly, but was not torn off...in
fact it looked very similar to the type of damage seen in the 36 mph
video, but to a lesser extent, because I wasn't traveling that fast.  I
believe the crash tests show an accurate representation of what would
happen to a production DeLorean in this type of collision, except for
the airbag going off of course.  (haha)

-Josh