[DMCForum] Re: Grady on the Forum..

I can understand where where you're coming from, VB. And I do
certainly agree that too many threads get killed off before their
time. Allot of good threads have been killed off before they've been
allowed to run their course, because they needed time to allow for a
great deal of debate.

Sometimes, the answers are not clear cut, and can't just be served up.
I.e, When I get below ¼ tank of gas, my car sputters = Reconnect the
fuel pick-up hose. Sometimes, we've got to debate things. A classic
example of this was advising people NOT to reuse the copper seals on
the fuel line banjo fittings. The message was not really getting
across to people, because the reasoning as to why was not being
properly explained. So until some people were able to say, "Hey, you
could set your damn car on fire! Look at these examples in the past."
People started to take notice. And as the debates continued on,
someone stated that they've know this for quite some time, and
lamented that they wrote this into the DOA, and they refused to
acknowlege it to their members. And the list of debates like this can
go on and on.

Yes, there is one moderator in particular that piss me off. I can't
stand when he kills a thread off because he's personally bored with
it. However, allot of the problems with *censorship* on the DML is not
the fault of the moderators. Many of these problems are caused by DML
subscribers.

It was either last year, or the year before. And some one mentioned
the term, "Rice Rocket" in a post. Now everyone knows what a rice
rocket is: It refers to either a Japanese motorcycle (old school, also
known as a "crotch-rocket"), or as a compact car that has been
equipped with a shit load on non-functional, cosmetic modifications, a
noisy exhaust, and is driven by the most ingorant people, who are
stuffed with a plethora mis-information, justified by their own over
confidence.

However, one person took exception to this as a racial slur. And even
wanted to show how insensitive everyone else was, by touting "proof"
that he was more accepting of other races, because he was married to
an Asian woman (Don't ask me the messge #, because it's been deleted
from the archives). So this is just one, of many examples of people
shooting their mouths off and bitching, BEFORE they know what the hell
they are talking about. And as a result of weak wills, we all end up
punished by all this in one way or another, as *scandallous*
conversations become less, and less permitted.

Now, with all this said, that does not mean that I don't like the DML,
nor do I think that is should really be changed too much. Why? Think
of it like this. The DML is like a gentlemans' club (think old mens'
money club, NOT strip bar) where everyone talks politely, and minds
their manners as much as possible. And in addition, everything is
moderated, so that everything is kept on-topic. The Forum however, is
more like a cross between a seedy garage, and an Asian Parliament. The
discussions here are more hands-on, we sometimes filabuster each other
with off topic conversations, and we have the occasional gasoline
fight, where we set each other on fire with our various flamewars. Of
course we can all handle this. We bandage up our pride, and get back
to socializing, debating, and otherwise working together as best
anyone can, who writes into a messageboard.

Point is, The DML is needed for the Marquee, and The Forum is needed
for the DML members. We have to have these unmodderated discussions
here, as much as others on the DML need moderated ones. The DML is a
great front for introducing people to the marquee. And is there for
people who otherwise couldn't handle the grittiness of the topics and
language that everyone else here uses.

Participating in DMCForum debates is like gargling with original
flavor, yellow Listerine: The intended job gets done, but fuck it can
burn sometimes!!!!! And that is what alot of people just can't handle.

-Robert