[DMCForum] Re: Steering Column Bushing Blues

[DMCForum] Re: Steering Column Bushing Blues

Mike - I don't know if you have resolved this or not, but I didn't
see any other responses.  This operation is pretty much a two-person
task - one to guide the shaft through the bushing and get a piece of
it through to the forward side where it can be grabbed.  The other
person does whatever he can to lodge the inner shaft so that it
doesn't retract.  The following is a brief excerpt from the detailed
instructions that you would have received had you purchased the
bushing from DPNW :)  "Due to the telescoping design of the column
it will easily retract.  To prevent that, you may have to carefully
wedge the inner column through the outer webbed one under the
dashboard with long-nose vise grips or similar tool to prevent its
movement."  I hope this helps.

Toby Peterson

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "mydelorean" <mike@xxxx> wrote:
> Any hints on how to fully extend the lower end of the steering
column?

> I just installed a new steering column bushing but I'm finding
when I try to line up the column to go through the fire wall - the
inner shaft is collapsing into the outer shaft and I can't get it
through.