[DMCForum] Re: Studebaker History (Carter)

[DMCForum] Re: Studebaker History (Carter)

Bill,

Thanks for the clarification. The enging rumor was one my grandfather
had propogated. He was knowledgable on a great many things but could
well have been mistaken.

I looked at the Avanti a while back. I think at some point they
changed the wheelbase of those things and screwed up the Lowey lines.
Someone is still making something they call an Avanti down in south
georgia I think.

Weren't the Hawks (and later on the Avanti) supercharged (as opposed
to turbo'ed)? The distinction being that a turbo is driven off of
exhaust gasses and a supercharger driven off the crankshaft via a
belt? In any event they were hot cars and ahead of their time.

My mom always lamented the demise of her Studebaker Champion with the
hill holder. My Hawk had seen better days body wise but ran pretty
good all things considered. And hell what did i know? I was 16.

Carter

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Nope. Studebaker 260/289 is a completely proprietary block (some
> people claim it was plagerized and miniaturized from Cadillac's much
> larger V8 -- utter nonsense. I think they just can't believe that a
> quality engine could emerge from the chaos in South Bend). Ford
rumor
> rears its ugly head from time to time because they too had a 260/289
> inch block (kind of like confusing AMC's own 360/390 with Ford's
> 360/390). GM rumor is probably attributable to the Avanti II, built
on
> a complete Corvette chassis w/ 350 (which makes it a funny looking
> Corvette in my book, NOT an Avanti). Of course they are not bolt up
> interchangeable because they are completely different engines.
>
> Hawks were also built after the merger with Packard's larger
> proprietary V8 (350 some odd inches).
>
> BTW: Nash's first merger choice was Studebaker, not Hudson. Their
> overtures were brutally rejected. By the time it was too late,
> Studebaker's only option was Packard -- truly the oddest of couples
if
> ever there was one.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, Studebaker was the first domestic manufacturer
> offer turbocharged engines (mid 1950's). A turbocharged Hawk could
> really fly. With Nash's dealership network (and public reputation,
> thank you very much), automotive history might have turned out very
> differently. Golden Hawk toasted both T Bird and Corvette in terms
of
> performance.
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cartermartin" <cartermartin@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Robert,
> >
> > A 3-rotor engine for your Delorean would be a real performer. And
> > would probably not throw the balance off much. It's interesting
how
> > classic cars can suffer from their power plants. I once had a
> > Studebaker Silver Hawk (BIG FINS!). Had a 260ci v8 that
apparently