[DMCForum] Re: Continuing misadventures of a Volvo/B280F PRV

[DMCForum] Re: Continuing misadventures of a Volvo/B280F PRV

Martin,

I guess England is a little far to travel to do a pair of head
gaskets.

I've done a few head gaskets but on old (really old) Volvo engines
(b18/b20). They are kind of hard to mess up.. I have air tools so
that is not a problem.

My main concern is disturbing the cylinder liners and buggering up
all the innards of that engine. Looks like the trick (or one of them)
is NOT to pull the heads straight off.

So you would pull the timing chain cover and reset the tensioniers?
WOuld you replace chains/sprockets at this point too?

Thanks
Carter

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
> cartermartin wrote:
>

> > I guess i'm looking at head gasket time.
> >
> > You do house calls? ;-{)
>
> If you pay my plane fair, yes :-) (I'm in England)
>
> If you're capable of doing a water pump, you'll find the head
gaskets
> pretty easy. Ignore the manual and take the timing cover off. For
the
> sake of removing the exhaust box (you need to take the manifolds
off
> anyway obviously) and you'll probably need air tools to get the
pulley
> nut off, it makes life so much easier with regards timing chains.
The
> manual's very good when it comes to putting them back on. You can
leave
> the water pump alone as it bolts to the block. Undo the 4 AC comp
> mounting bolts and just hook it up out the way, then it's just
loads of
> 11mm bolts for rocker cover and timing cover, plus two 10mm allen
key
> bolts holding the cam sprockets and 4 10mm bolts to take off the
chain
> tensioners
>
> Also ignore the manual and have the heads faced. Only a couple of
thou,
> and if they're warped, you're buggered as this throws the cam(s)
out,