[DMCForum] Re: Engines vs. Motors

Years ago I was on a software project to develop an application that
would handle calculations of a variety of electric utility rates
(before the debacle of Enron and California's problems).

The core of this was a 'rate engine'. Since we were working for an
electric utility we had to change the name to 'rate motor' since
engines ran on gas of course...

In meetings I would remark that 'Now we are cooking with gas'. And
only once got called on the remark by an administrative assistant.

Carter

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jon Heese <dmcforum@xxxx> wrote:
> We had a similar discussion on a Taurus SHO list 6 months back or
so.

> Turns out that etymologically, both the term "motor" and "engine"
are
> applicable to the internal combustion engine.  A "motor" is defined
as a
> machine that provides motive power, and an "engine" is a machine
that
> converts energy to mechanical power.
>
> While it seems very odd to make reference to an "electric engine",
it
> wouldn't be technically inaccurate.  I, for one, think it's kinda
> playful or campy to call ICE's motors, and it's nice for some
variety
> every now and then.
>
> There are some interesting (and very accepted) crossovers that
you'd
> have to reconcile:
>
> Motor Week magazine
> motorsports
> motor oil
> Bavarian Motor Works (BMW)
> General Motors
> Ford Motor Company
> motorcycles
> motorboats
> Moto-Cross
> motor mounts
> motorcar
> motorcade
> Motor City
> motorist
> motorhome
> motor vehicle
> Mini slogan: Let's Motor
>
> Regards,
> Jon Heese
>
> DMCVIN6683 wrote:
> > I understand what you are saying about nitrous oxide, people
always
> > think it is flammable because it helps with creating quick HP.
> >
> > I also hate how they call it NOS. Funny i also get irritated when
> > people call "Engines" Motors, you know like i have a 2.8 PRV
Motor in
> > my car, it is a DAMN Engine.
> >
> > Engines are internal combustion.
> >
> > Motors use stored up power like battery's or electricity.
> >
> > Boat Motor is the worst.
> >
> > I am OK now.
> >
> > Mark V
> >

> > On Apr 19, 2005, at 10:34 PM, Jon Heese wrote:
> >

> >>I think this point has been made before, but just for the record:
> >>nitrous oxide (N2O) is nonflammable.  It's used to increase
internal
> >>combustion engine horsepower by way of it being a strong
oxidizer, i.e.
> >>in the presence of fuel/air it increases the amount of energy
available
> >>to the combustion process.
> >>
> >>On the other hand, nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is very flammable and is
> >>mainly used to make nitric acid (when combined with water).  This
is
> >>the
> >>main explosive component in a "fertilizer bomb".
> >>
> >>In the Eclipse/Talon pictured, it seems plausible that there was
an
> >>unrelated fire in the car, and around the same time, the NOS
bottle
> >>ruptured, and the gas caused the fire to burn hotter and more
> >>intensely.
> >>  This would explain why the track crew was unable to make a dent
in
> >>the
> >>fire using fire extinguishers.  However, it does seem a little
unlikely
> >>that there would still be N2O left in the car after the first 15
> >>minutes
> >>elapsed... Whatever.
> >>
> >>It just bugs me when I see people perpetuating the "explosive
NOS"
> >>legend.
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Jon Heese