[DMCForum] Re: damnit to hell (Carter)

You should have a cooling system expansion tank in front of the
driver's wheel well.

Trapped air above the thermostat isn't an issue for you because your
upper radiator hose continues to rise upwards after the thermostat
housing. On a DeLorean that is the highest point in that part of the
system -- trapped air has no where else to go until bled off (can you
spell "self bleeder"?).

The best place to check for milky foam from an internal coolant leak
is the dipstick, not the oil filler cap. How soon after engine startup
did you check the filler cap? Takes a little while to burn
condensation off.

Don't forget that on a severely leaking engine, cylinders may only be
under pressure for 1 out of 4 strokes -- check for rust on the spark
plug electrodes and steam in the exhaust. You should also notice a
decrease in performance from dead cylinders.

180 PSI is definitely too high for even E Series Volvo (translates
into more than 10:1 compression). You'd need unbelievable carbon
buildup to yield that -- more than 1/8". Would glow so red hot that I
couldn't imagine the car even being drivable (not without a couple of
bottles of octane boost in the tank). Did you perform the compression
test yourself or are you relying on someone else's numbers?

BTW: didn't I see someone recommend John Hervey parts for you in a
recent post? You might seriously consider his smaller OD fuel lines.
He's also an excellent source for K Jetronic fittings and washers that
are hard to find elsewhere.

Bill Robertson