[DMCForum] Diesels (Was: Re: Electric powered DeLorean)

[DMCForum] Diesels (Was: Re: Electric powered DeLorean)

Thanks to tax incentives in the last 20 years here in europe, car
manufacturers have been putting a lot of effort into developing diesels.
The first real breakthrough was in a car that ironically I've just
bought again. I drove 200 miles yesterday in a car I won off ebay for £100

This one, to be precise

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4537934088

This car really put diesels on the map, and the series of
Peugeot/Citroen XUD diesels spearheaded by this little 1.7 litre
turbocharged lump could perform on a par with its petrol equivalents and
return over 60mpg on a long run. The turbo boosts to just over 1 bar and
it'll do it all day long. This car has done 168,000 miles over the last
14 years and has had nothing but glow plugs, oil and filter changes and
cam belts. It goes like a rocket, merrilly wheelspinning in 2nd. They
are known for the head gasket going but only once every 200,000 miles.
That I can live with.

The next big jump was with the VW/Audi TDi's which incorporated direct
injection, but still using a mechanical pump.

The latest generation are the "common rail" direct injection EFI diesels
like the Peugeot/Citroen HDi's and the Renault DCi's. Some of these
engines are kicking out over 150bhp from a 2 litre, but inevitably fuel
economy will suffer.

The basics about diesels are:

1) Diesel fuel holds slightly less chemical energy than petrol.
Therefore in a 100% efficient system, petrol will be more economical

2) Compression ignition is inherantly more efficient. On the old XUD's,
the only piece of electrical equipment on the whole car that related
directly to the engine was the solenoid valve to cut the fuel to turn it
off.

3) Diesel engines are more noisy at idle, but not at speed. Cite:
Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi tested as more quiet in a 30mph drive-by than the
2.0 16v petrol.

4) Diesels do not kick out CO. However they do put out particulates.
This is dangerous to humans but totally harmless to the environment. It
also kicks out Sulphur Dioxide but this is a product of the fuel, not
the nature of the engine. Biodiesel containes no sulphur

5) The nature of the engines mean they are built stronger and will last
longer. The output power, hp for hp is almost always lower than a petrol
equivalent, but it's being shown more and more that the diesel will
outrun the petrol in any test aside from top speed, and it's all down to
the TORQUE diesels put out. My Xantia HDi puts out 250Nm at 3000rpm yet
tops out at only 110bhp.

6) The top speed of a diesel is usually lower simply because of the rev
range being lower. A diesel will typically red-line at between
4500-5000rpm. The gearbox is usually tuned to match, and use the torque.
My Xantia does 3000rpm at 90mph in 5th.

Martin