Re: [DMCForum] Moving to web based forum?

Re: [DMCForum] Moving to web based forum?

In my last job, I worked on integrating email support into a Java-based
Web Forum solution.  In the web forum part (which was already
implemented when I started working on it), each site was broken down
into separate forums. e.g. DMCForum is the site; Pure Technical, Vendors
and Product discussion, Events and show discussion, etc. are forums
within the site.  Each forum had an email address associated with it
(e.g. technical@xxxxxxxxxxxx, vendors-products@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
events@xxxxxxxxxxxx), and each board user could opt-in to receive emails
from each forum (i.e. "subscribe" to the forum).  Each time a new
message was posted (in a thread) in a forum, that forum's email identity
would send out a copy to all users who were subscribed to that forum's
mailing list.  If the user replied to the email, it would post the
contents of the reply to the "[Forum-Name] Thread Name" indicated by the
subject line (assuming the From: address was rightfully subscribed to
"Forum"'s mailing list).

So, to start a new thread by email, one could conceivably compose a new
message To: "forum-email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", Subj: "[Forum-Name] New
Thread Name", with email body text represented as the message body on
the board.

Pretty simple once you break it down.  Of course, I don't know if this
functionality is built in to ubiquitous the free CGI board software,
though I imagine there are modules that do implement it like this.

The software I worked on was way over-priced and full of bad code and
bugs (there before I got to it and so ugly it would've been harder to go
back and fix it all than to just start over), so I wouldn't recommend it.

Regards,
Jon Heese