[DMCForum] Re: H2: Go anyhere. Including directly to jail; Do not collec

[DMCForum] Re: H2: Go anyhere. Including directly to jail; Do not collect $200.

Car manufacturers will also do this in order to save money on less
sucessful car lines as well. Take the "J" body for instance. Been in
production since the 80's, and gave birth to the Cavalier, Sunfire, &
Cimmaron. GM has made their money back on the tooling for these cars,
so if they discontinue them, there's no profit loss. Which is what
they had to do, in order to cover their losses on their other car
line. The one that birthed dismal sales failures such as the Catera,
Malibu, Impala, & Chevrolet Classic. Bland, boring cars so bad, that
GM could only profitably sell them thru fleet sales. And that's not
saying much.

Now GM has reintroduced these future rattle traps as the "New"
Cavalier replacement, the Chevy Cobalt. Just as they had to do when
they migrated tooling from the failed Pontiac Aztek over to build the
Buick Rendevouz.

If you want an example of a vehicle that failed when it got badge
engineered, but because of it's rarity, it's gonna be worth serious
cash some day, take a look at the Lincoln Blackwood. Those things are
gonna be the next "Dodge Dude".

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> Actually, JZD did mention "badge engineering" when asked about GM
dropping
> the Buick name from their line.  He thought it would be a waste to
get rid
> of the name when they could stick it on an import or something else.
>
> Even though the Escalade and Navigator are more expensive than the
vehicles
> they are based on, quite often the parts used on those vehicles are
the same
> or less expensive to manufacture.  Take a base vehicle, slap on a
few
> different items and jack the price up by $10k and people believe it
is
> better.  It is the same vehicle, thus, "badge engineered".
>
> Greg

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada