[DMCForum] Re: New poll for DMCForum

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> IMHO, These things should require commercial
> registrations.  For many years, families did just fine
> without a SUV, or Mini-Van.

Not gonna happen. I once met this guy who was a retired engineer from
GM, out here in Vegas (can't remember his name, but I remember that
he mentioned he was Armenian). And he gave me the best insight into
Detriot that I ever had. He said this:

"Why was the electric started for the car invented?" I replied with
the story about the guy's son, who died from a jaw injury from a
stuck crank handle, when it later became infected. He told me that
while that is a popular story, it's not the truth. The electric
started was invented as a selling point, because the ovwewhelming
majority of the buying public is not intelligent enough to know the
start-up procedure on a car. "There are more stupid people out there
with money they're willing to spend, than there are smart people who
are willing to part with their cash. And if you can grasp that
statement's meaning, then you can understand the automotive industry,
and how it operates." And he was right. After all, car manufactureres
want scores of people injured, and the threats of lawsuits to come
down, before the even initiate a recall. How was one guy with a
broken jaw supposed to have changed an entire industry?

-Robert