RE: [DMCForum] Re: new find...

>You wimping out on the full rebuild/restore of the road warrior red
>Delorean?

Nope, I am still doing that one.

>Anyways, the car looks to be in descent shape, just some thorough
>cleaning and a good overhaul, and it should make a good driver.

Oh, I have the cleaning all planned out.  I am going to leave it at your
house for a few days :)

>Is this the same car you mentioned sat outside and could also be a
>concours car with some cleaning? Or are you just finding various
>Delorean left & right in your travels? Any photos of the Delorean
>that sits outside if this isn't it?

No, this is not the same car.  This one has been garaged most of its life.
The one that is potentially concours has been outside most of its life, with
no eyebrows, no cracked binnacle, and no cracked or faded dash.  The fascias
are just a bit faded.  I thought I posted some pictures on the Yahoo photo
section but it seems they got cleaned out.  I will dig out a few and get
them on tonight.

>If the price is right, then I'd buy it, just out of curiosity, how
>much is the owner asking for it? More than $10k, more than $15k??

The owner thinks it is worth more than it really is, so I have some
convincing to do.  He originally wanted $20k for it but seems to now realize
it is not worth that much.  He is not trying to sell it as he has a lot of
cars so who knows how long it will take me to get it from him.

>If you can get him to a descent price, buy it, and work on the other
>one in your spare time. Just remember, Deloreans even in this
>condition still need about 4-5k to e fully roadworthy and reliable.

Yea, I know the rule of thumb but I am not quite convinced this one will
need that.  He recently put on new tires, brakes, wheel bearings, struts,
and several other things.  He exercises the car regularly so it is no garage
queen, but it has been well taken care of.

>Oh, and the eyebrows occur from sun exposure, nothing more, not
>headlights, or wind forces, just sun. John Hervey sells a nice set
>of heavy duty "eyebrow" bars that will take the warpage out of any
>fascia. Or you can craft some steel bars of your own if you have the
>time.

That's why I mentioned the other car, the one that has been exposed to the
sun most of its life.  It has no eyebrows at all, just fading.  I will see
what pictures I can find and post them.  By the way, did you read my theory
on warpage?

Greg