[DMCForum] Re: Angle drive lubrication

To lubricate the lower spedo cable, I just disconnected it from the LAMBDA counter, and
pulled the cable out of the sheath. I then slathered it in white lithium grease, bending it to
get the grease inside as many nooks of the cable as possible. I then shoved a bit of grease
into the housing, and slipped the cable back into place.

As far as I know, there is no way to lube the angle drive, except to pull the wheel, and hit
the grease coupler. However, Don Steger doesn't use normal automotive grease, or oil to
fill the angle drive. He told me that he used some sort of industrial, NSF approved grease/
oil on the angle drive. Some white grease that they use to lubricate the bandsaws in meat
packing plants. It's NSF certified, because it's edible, and doesn't taint meat. What it is, or
where to get it, I don't know. Looking up "edible oil" on google only yields me results for
various sex lubricants. So I'd contact Don for the exact details on this one.

Almost 5 years, 30K miles, and no servicing, and my angle drive is doing just fine.

-Robert