From: Dave Stragand [mailto:dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 10:21 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Project FoxFire?

Hi All,

After speaking to John Lane for several hours this weekend, it looks
like I
may actually begin putting together this 500-horse PRV, tentatively
named
Project FoxFire*.

I have found a 1987 Volvo 760 with the requisite B280 PRV-6.  It is a
complete and running vehicle, with some funky intermittent electrical
problems which would be irrelevant to this project.  It will only cost
me
$200 for the complete car.  I already have contacted a fellow who may
give
me up to $250 for the rest of the car minus the engine.  Do the math and
that means I'd make $50 by buying it. I'm going to go look at it
tomorrow.

My budget plan calls for a cost of around $10,000.  I'm usually pretty
good
with the estimates.  For Project Vixen, I planned on putting $20k into
the
car, and spent about $22k. That is pretty close to my normal 10-15%
budget
overrun margin that I have seen on most of my cars.  That makes around
an
$11k realistic estimate.  I'm sure I'll go over, but with the cost of
parts
I'll be selling off, it may run close to the same.

I have everything figured out so far except for the potential AWD...
MARTIN!!!  Please find a way to make this car the test bed for your AWD
conversion, mate!  =)  All kinds of little sketches and blueprints are
tacked up on the walls of my home office... intercoolers and air boxes,
transmission upgrades and wiring diagrams, TEC3 and SDS and MoTec
software
and specs... This could all get verrrryyyy interesting if it comes to
fruition.

How stupid am I to spend 5 years putting my car together only to rip it
apart again?  Yeah, stupid doesn't begin to describe it.  BUT... no one
ever
thought I'd be able to get that car back together again... and I did.
Maybe
I'm crazy enough to pull -this- off, too.  Maybe I can do it for under
$10k,
and maybe I can do it in time for Pheasant Run?  Who knows, but it is
gonna
be fun trying.

-Dave

* If you can think of a better name than "Project FoxFire", please let
me
know.  I did like the name "FoxFire Twin Turbo" as the name of the
engine,
but it doesn't have to be the name of the whole insanely expensive and
relatively pointless project.  Suggestions welcome!

  _____