[DMCForum] interesting JZD article:

http://www.keepmedia.com/ShowItemDetails.do?
item_id=170852&oliID255&bemID=0IvRXsC38YYPoi9Gq/13MQaa6621

or if that link doesn't work, here it is!!! :

Title:John De Lorean's Nine Greatest Cars of All Time
(We asked for ten, but Mr. De Lorean said that there haven't been
that many).

Oct 01 '98

LANDMARK CARS. You've got one. We all do, parked somewhere in that
boneyard of the brain, right? The first car, which you just have to
cherish, even though it was a used four-door, metallic-blue (except
for the rear driver's-side quarter panel, which never got out of
primer) 1973 Ford Maverick. Or maybe it was the '66 MG that you,
despite the obvious stick-shift impediment, lost your virginity in.
Or even the shag-carpeted, upholstery-tufted Chew with the IF THIS
VAN IS ROCKIN', DON'T COME KNOCKIN' bumper sticker that your older
brother willed to you in the fall of 1981 when he went off to
college.

Landmark cars indeed, but not the kind of landmark cars we mean. We
mean Landmark Cars. Cars representative of not the seminal moments in
your life but the seminal moments in the lives of cars themselves.
Cars that set the pace for those that came afterward. Cars whose
revolutionary strands of DNA we find ten, twenty, even fifty years
after they originally appeared, in the very cars we lease today.

To be so presumptuous as to identify these giants of the auto
century, Esquire turned to the authorities for their definitive
lists. Author Michael Lamm suggested, among others, the 1932-33
Graham Blue Streak, the car that kicked off streamlining. Nascar
legend Richard Petty liked the 1907 Thomas Flyer. Customcar builder
Boyd Coddington chose the '53 Corvette, America's first mass-market
sportster. Hot-rod godfather Ed "Big Daddy" Roth picked the
Volkswagen Beetle as his "all-time fave." And from Freeman Thomas,
the codesigner of VW's New Beetle,we got the Willys Jeep, the
original SUV.

For a scholarly assessment of automobile achievement, we called on
the opinion of Ken Gross, the executive director of the Petersen
Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. Gross offered a coolheaded
collection, including the 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air, whose high-revving,
lightweight V-8 engine made a race car out of a prosaic family sedan,
the clever but hapless Chrysler Airflow, an inspiration to designers
but a sales failure, and even the Datsun 240Z.

But the man whose Landmark Car list struck us as the most correct,
because it was the most visceral (which, despite gas mileage and side-
impact air bags, is the real reason we love cars), is the man
responsible for.what Esquire editors consider one of our Landmark
Cars. Not surprisingly, John De Lorean's 1964 GTO was on his own
list, too.

Alex Issigonis created the remarkable transverseengine front-wheel-
drive Austin Mini and with it, the efficient packaging concept that
is the basis for most of the world's cars today. The surprise is that
it took so long for the industry to copy the Mini. Although it's only
as long as a suitcase, it has a tremendous backlog of goodwill on the
market. It was as fun as a car could be. I used to race Steve McQueen
in one--he was a magnificent driver--and I think the Mini was his
favorite, too.

My Pontiac GTO, while not in the same league as these landmark cars,
started the muscle-car era. I built the first GTO for my personal
use, but every time I lent it to someone, they refused to give it
back. That convinced me that there was a market for a very high-
performance, lowpriced car. There was: The GTO shattered Pontiac'S
stodgy image, and our annual sales escalated from 400,000 cars to
900,000.

I believe great cars are generally the product of the intellect and
dedication of a single man, and none more so than the Model ?. Henry
Ford's genius created not only the car for the masses but the
automotive industry as we know it today. Ford recognized that for the
auto to be a success, it had to be readily available. So, while
others were busy raising their prices, Ford lowered his. Using the
production line to reduce construction costs and to simplify
manufacturing, the price of the Model T went from $850 to $290. Ford
cut the price of his product because he wanted people to use it.
That's pretty amazing.

I drive an Acura NSX. It's as much fun as any car I've ever owned
(and a lot more reliable). Mechanically, it's a fantastic piece of
equipment. Mine has 24,000 miles on it and has never had even a minor
problem. Some cars I know would have been in service eighteen times
by now.

Colin Chapman, perhaps the greatest designer ever, had an amazing
ability to keep complicated things simple. He was an incredible
engineer, and his Lotus 25 is the parent of all modern grand-prix
cars. Most of Chapman's design competitors, like Renault and many of
the Italians, were sponsored by foreign governments. But here was a
little guy with a garage in north London who won seven Formula One
Constructors Trophies in the sixties and seventies, against
government-supported companies with infinite resources. Chapman did
it through sneer engineenng: He was very, very bright and had as
great a competitive instinct as anyone who ever lived.

Enzo Ferrari built many great cars, but the Ferrari GTO is my
favorite. Over the years, I've probably owned 150 cars, and the GTO
is the best one I've ever had. You could do everything in it and use
it every day of the week. The GTO was a car that could win at the
track and be driven to the office the next day. It even won at Le
Mans two or three times-not with me driving, of course: I can't chew
gum and walk. But it's a car that really goes.

Rudolf Uhlenhaut's Mercedes 300SL Gullwing coupe is an incredible car
that can still run with-or even outrun--the best of today. The
300SL's direct injection--more expensive than carburetion but offenng
tremendous control--is at long last making it into today's cars. I
used to own one in the fifties, and I remember driving from Detroit
to Buffalo on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which was the only good road
back then, doing 170 miles per hour. The only thing that scared you
was that the steering was so quick, you could end up turned backward.

If I were driving cross-country tomorrow, I'd want a Mercedes S600.
If you forget about price and talk about dedication to quality,
Mercedes is in a class by itself. With its living-room comfort and
soundproof double glazing, there isn't another car in the world that
can compete with its performance. When price is no object, it's the
sedan to have.

Andre Citroen's Citroen SM is perhaps the most sophisticated car ever
built. It had everything you could conceive of: a hydropneumatic
suspension, hydraulic steering and brakes, and a Maserati engine. It
was his vision of the ultimate car--high performance incredible
comfort very quiet--and t came very close C troth a so designed the
simplest car ever built: the 2CV. He was trying to build a rocking
chair with an umbrella on it that you could drive The 2CV never
caught on n the U S -it was too primitive. Its engine couldn't pull
your grandmother off a porch swing. But Citroen was a great engineer,
and for him each car was a challenge.