[DMCForum] Re: AOL...

Macintosh people are "making" the IBM virus'? What in the hell are you talking about?

As a Mac user too, I can tell you that the only reason that Macintosh computers have had
so many fewer problems is due to obscurity. No one writes malicious code, because there
are so many fewer people that would actually bother. This of course is slowly changing, as
OS X is becoming more mainstream, as people want better alternatives. It's like how most
financial institutions keep their systems so secure. It's the same principal of obscurity. For
many years, Diebold has been installing systems that run OS/2 Warp on ATMs, and other
mainframes. Yeah, it's older, and there's no support, but it's obscure, and far less
vulnuerable.

The other reason that OS X is so much more stable, is because it doesn't run friggin' Active
X all the time. If more people disabled Active X alone, their systems would be so much
more stable AND secure! Well, that and the fact that we're based off of BSD technology,
and don't log in as ROOT each time.

BTW, for everyone here that has rattled off everything that they run in order to keep their
PCs safe, let me chime in, and list what my PowerBook G4 is running for security:

Safari Browser
OS X Mail
Built-in Firewall

Of course while I like MS servers and databases, as well as their supurb office software, I
am biased, because I do believe that OS X is a far superior system. No registry to edit. Just
folders in "System" and "Library" folder that I simply delete. That and my one laptop can
run 5 seperate operating systems at once, including XP!

However, even I must admit that OS X isn't invulnerable. It's just that it's so much more
secure, obscure, and is supported by a software company that proactively installs patches!
Trust me though, Mac Viri do exist. Some of them have even been carbonized for OS X,
but haven't been able to do much good, since the patches are in place. As for Macintosh
OS specific viri, one online report states that out of 71,00 known viri existing in the world
at that time, only 26 were directly written for the Mac OS. 553 were just macros that are
only enabled when you run Microsoft Office applications on Macintosh.

So yeah, by laptop also runs faster because I don't have to have all those 3rd party apps
runnning in the background, sucking down my system resources. And, it's fun to plug the
PowerBook into the cigarette lighter, and take the DeLorean out Wardriving at night. :) I
don't know nuthin' about how it affects flux dispersal. But Stainless Steel certainly doesn't
sheild RF half as bad as carbon steel does!.

-Robert