Re: [DMCForum] Stupid people - was Viruses.

Marc wrote:

>  So when one of
> them gets an e-mail with an "important document"
> attached, they do as instructed... and don't know any
> better.

Would they open their doors to everyone who knocks?  Give their
SSNs to anyone who asks? Fall for every three-card-Monty scam on
the subway?  It's not so much technical savvy, but common sense.  I
bet the sheep keep you in business ;)   I can't count the number of
times I've been asked for passwords and other sensitive info in
"spoof" emails.

> They have no concept of how the digital videos are
> stored on the computer.. They only know that if they
> click on the "photo" icon, they can download them from
> the camera and look at them.

I have a real problem with this.  Everyone knows that computers
crash and that data can be lost.    Regardless of the technical
mechanics of the process, people know that they should protect
anything they care about, i.e. in a fire- and waterproof container.
But then again, I marvel at a lot of things people do or don't do to
protect their belongings.

> Modern anti-virus programs have gotten better
> (automatic updates, and such) but there is still
> plenty of opportunity, even for moderately computer
> savvy people, to get some malicious software that will
> damage their data.

which brings me back to not storing the ONLY copy of such data on
your hard drive!