[DMCForum] Re: Input shaft coupler (was John Lane's PRV)

[DMCForum] Re: Input shaft coupler (was John Lane's PRV)

Marc - No, it only twisted off the relatively soft coupler and
sheared the roll pin.  The input shaft was fine, but the transmission
main shaft was ruined by the fragments of the roll pin gouging the
splines in the shaft.  The OEM coupler is thought to act as a sort
of "structural fuse" that will shear out to prevent an overload
condition in the main shaft, or elsewhere in the transmission
gearing.  Unfortunately, this "fuse" has failed a few times now, but
has in fact ruined the main shaft that it was designed to protect.
My goal with the new coupler was to give the strength of the internal
transmission parts the "benefit of the doubt".  I believe that the
transmission is good for higher loads than the coupler can allow
for.  Darryl Tinnerstet's car is a good example.  He sheared out the
coupler almost immediately.  He changed the coupler, and the car has
never had an issue with that area since.  BTW - I still owe you an
answer regarding the input shaft ... You were asking about a stronger
input shaft that also had an extended nose so that it would be able
to engage the pilot bearing in the crankshaft.  I believe that a "one
off" shaft would cost around $350 or so.  The per-piece price comes
down when there is some quantity involved.

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com