Re: [DMCForum] Re: PRV Performance

Many people have put turbo kits on otherwise stock
DeLorean engines.  However, many times the added
stress will cause oil blow-by.

If I were looking to simply improve engine performance
on a stock DMC engine without replacing any of the
"new" parts, I'd start by working on the exhaust
system.  I don't know if DMCH sells the exhaust
separately, but it is something to investigate.  When
I saw one of their performance engine setups, they
were using the stock DMC cat converter (I suspect they
have a few hundred sitting in the wear house they want
to unload!), but they may have upgraded now to a set
of modern high-flow cats.  Even so, I think the
complete setup is too noisy although I don't know if
it is due to the exhaust system or cam timing.

After you free up the exhaust, next thing to work on
is the intake.  Jim Witherspoon did a EFI conversion
on his DeLorean (Vin 06147) where he used a SDS ECU,
and then later built his own less-restrictive intake.
I think he may have since sold this car, but this is
one of the most practical things I have seen done to
any otherwise stock DeLorean engine..  If you were to
do this, you may want to look in to the "megasquirt"
project, as it is a less expensive solution to the SDS
unit.

With those modifications, I think you could bump the
130HP up to the 180 range.  Beyond that, you would
again be looking at some internal upgrades.  Maybe
some custom cams for another 10-20HP..  If you want
more, then your back at expensive forced induction
systems which to be reliable should include a lot of
additional internal engine work.