[DMCForum] Re: impending frame off restoration

[DMCForum] Re: impending frame off restoration

Hi Elvis,

Yep I don't think the stainless frame idea is going anywhere either
really. Just dreaming... Its such a pity the car was not built that
way in the first place.

Anyway, I think you might be misunderstanding me slightly - I wasn't
expecting to have this job done in 10 days! I am thinking of a few
months at least. What I meant was I'll strip it down to the frame in
the first few days, and bring the frame and suspension pieces and
steering rack back to Dublin with me where I'll have more time to
work on them. Then, whenever I have them all rebuilt and nicely
painted/powdercoated, I'll bring them back to Limerick and start
putting the car back together.

I've a nice digital camera and will be taking a few pics of
everything before I take it off the frame, then putting all the small
pieces in marked bags. I'll keep notes also.

I'm not talking about doing a full rebuild of the car, just the frame
and suspension bushings and ball joints. The rest of the car is fine,
so I will not be also going thru the cooling system, AC, or anything
like that. So, maybe I'm still being too optimistic, but surely I'll
get it done within a few months!?

If you didn't dip your frame, what did you do to it? I'm pretty
undecided about it at the moment, and would definitely consider other
options such as sandblasting and POR-15, or powdercoating. I'd just
be a bit concerned that powdercoating on its own wouldn't be very
durable. Also, it would be difficult or impossible to sandblast and
paint inside the closed off box sections of the frame such as the
engine support cradle or the front crossmember. The Zinc dip would
get into these areas much better.

I'd love to hear what you did with your frame and see any pictures if
possible? Also let me know if you still think I'm delusional about
doing this job, I appreciate your input if you have already done this
job yourself!

I forgot to answer your question if I've ever rebuilt a car - not
really, no. I have so far done most of the work on my DeLorean -
replaced front springs and 4 shocks, rebuilt brakes, clutch
hydraulics, put in new fuel system (all except distributor), cooling
hoses, some electrics, and a few more things. So I can use a toolkit,
but I'm not a mechanic by any means!

Thanks,
John

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx>
wrote:
> John,
>
> you are very optimistic about your schedule.
> Have you ever rebuilt a car ?
> Do you know how many small parts there are ?
>
> Do you know where they all belong to after you took them off
> without any documentation ? The manual is not enough, they
> don't describe the little details and you will forget them
> because there are too many !
>
> Do you have a digi cam ?
>

> I didn't dip my frame into zinc, I wasn't sure if it would stand
> it like you described. Another german here had it dipped and it
> cam out well. He said he couldn't measure any warping or
differences.