[DMCForum] Re: impending frame off restoration

[DMCForum] Re: impending frame off restoration

Hi Joe,
Just so you know, I'm in Ireland. To ship a Pearce frame over here
would be probably a lot of money, then I have import taxes, etc,
which would be about 24% of the cost of the frame...
I don't think it would be that expensive, and I'm sure I could get it
done for a lot lot less than the cost of a Pearce frame. The Pearce
frame is great, and I would love one, but its a bit too much money
for the moment.
Anyway I'll make some enquiries and see what they think!
John

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
wrote:

> [...]
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Elvis and others,
> > Actually the time factor is not as bad as I first made out - I'll
be
> > taking 2 days off work to do the job, so will goto my parents
house
> > on a Wednesday night, work all day Thursday thru Sunday to strip
the
> > frame down, then Sunday night, bring the frame and suspension
pieces
> > back to Dublin with me to get treated.
> > Then, when all the suspension bits and frame are restored, I will
> > bring them all back down to my parents house again, take another
few
> > days off work and put it all back together... or so the plan goes.
> >
> > Elvis, did you actually galvanise your frame? Were you worried
about
> > it warping at all? Did it warp in any way??!
> >
> > The guy from the galvanising place just called me to warn of the
> > dangers of my frame warping during the process... He was
basically
> > saying that even if this has worked fine on a DeLorean frame in
the
> > past, there is no telling if it will work on this occasion. Scary
> > stuff!
> >
> > Another option I'm considering (more like dreaming) is taking the
> > bare frame to a place in Galway (in Ireland) that would copy the
> > frame in Stainless Steel for me. I'll price it anyway, and maybe
> > could partly fund it by selling my original frame, which is
actually
> > in good shape apart from some rust on the front frame extension -
the
> > reason I want to galvanise it now is to keep it in good shape.
> >
> > I told the galvaniser I'm definitely stripping my frame down, and
> > when I get a look at how much work it needs I'll let him know
what I
> > decide to do.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis" <elvisnocita@xxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > been there, did this !
> > > only on the weekend sand a three hours drive is very bad !
> > > I worked at least 2-3 hours a day on the car for almost 6
months.

> > > Once you started you will find thousands of things you want to
fix,
> > > too.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't start it if you don't have the possibility to do it
> > > closer to the place where you live or can show up more often.
> > > One saturday and the frame is out. You will see a big step.
> > > But afterwards the little steps will take forever.
> > >
> > > Lower ball-joints - get them from DMCH, those are perfect.
> > > No need to bother anymore with the Volkswagen parts.
> > >
> > > For the PU bushings ask Ed Uding, he made something new lately.
> > >
> > > I hope you know what kind of job you are starting.

Toby