Re: [DMCForum] Tachometer Flicker

Hey, um, excuse me, but this guy asked a very on-topic
question.  It has been several days, and I don't see any
answers here.  {cough, hack, sigh}

I haven't checked the file you uploaded.  I'm on a dial-up &
prefer to read off-line.  Tachometers seem to come in two
varieties - fast & slow.  One theory I hear is that they all
start out slow & sluggish and get more jittery & faster as
the sun bakes the oil out of them (sort of like blinker
fluid).  The other theory is that there are two versions of
the mechanism.  BTW, this seems to apply to all gauges
except the speedometer.  My car has a fast volt meter but a
very slow tach.  So when my engine seeks at idle, the volt
meter moves but the tach doesn't.  Anyway, it sounds like
you have a fast tach.  When you get bored waiting in a
parking lot, you can find hours of endless entertainment
watching the tach move around like a pin wheel by quickly
switching the ignition on & off.  If you do it just right,
the tach spins all the way around and goes back to zero.
Eh, okay, some of us are more easily amused than others.

Oh yeah, you did as a question...  I'm just trying to punish
these guys for not answering it.  Okay, I bet you could have
a dirty connection in your binnacle.  There are some large
connectors that should have been gold plated, but they
weren't.  Instead they are bare copper and can corrode.  You
gotta take the binnacle apart and clean these connectors
with a soft pencil eraser.  For an added measure of
protection, give then a thin smear with dielectric grease to
keep them from doing it again.  Your binnacle probably needs
a good cleaning anyway.  Now would be a good time to fix
your broken odometer reset shaft, etc.  Be careful to not
leave greasy finger prints all over the gauge faces.  This
means don't eat the fried chicken while you are working.

Walt