[DMCForum] Re: Floating Ground? (Hazard Switch)

[DMCForum] Re: Floating Ground? (Hazard Switch)

Turn signals are routed through the hazard switch -- if it's missing
(Samuel's dash torn apart), they will not work. When my headlight
switch melted, I moved the hazard switch over, spade connected like
Walt. Had to insert a jumper in the vacant hazard switch connector for
the turn signals to work until a replacement switch was received.

Note that spades on these switches are next size down from common 1/4".

There's a nice schematic in the electrical section of the Workshop
Manual that shows, complete with a graphic of the hazard switch
harness connector, what's going on. Don't have mine with me so I can't
quote page number -- apologies. Seem to remember the two terminals in
question are directly above/below each another.

BTW: I'm still using that hazard switch in lieu of a "proper"
headlight switch (picture button swapped). Internal mechanism is
simpler, so I anticipate longer life. Only has to trip relays now anyway.

Bill Robertson

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Samuel, all of Elvis' points are good.  I'll add my own:
>

> > I noticed the other day my blinker does not work for left,
> nor right. If
> > I turn the hazard on, I at least get the right side light
> on the dash
> > and hear the relay clicking (I did not check the actual
> blinker though).
>
> If you have a loose or stray ground wire in the dash area,
> this could be the culprit.  Bad connections on the hazard
> switch will stop the blinkers & turn signals from working.
> Sometimes a connector can slip out of the socket or get
> loose or dirty.  If you take them out & tighten them up, be
> careful that they aren't so tight that they push the pins
> into the switch.  I have had that happen.  I had enough
> problems with my headlight switch that I cut the socket off
> & replaced with new individual connectors.  Yeah, it's an
> ugly hack, but I trust it over the original.  After having a
> headlight switch melt, I don't want to take chances.  That
> relay modification that Jan Van de Wouw did is a good idea.
> Oh, remember to check your blinker fluid....

click here