[DMCForum] Re: BUMP - Vent, Heater, & Defrost (To Everyone and Elvis)

[DMCForum] Re: BUMP - Vent, Heater, & Defrost (To Everyone and Elvis)

   Alright, thanks again to everyone for their posts.  You guys are
very helpful and knowledgeable.  Isn't that what these internet
forums are all about?  Support and knowledge sharing?  Just part of
the reason DeLorean owners today are in a much better situation than
15 or so years ago.  My point is, (Elvis), you might be a very nice
and cool guy in person, but your are coming across as kind of a dick
in your posts to me.  I'm glad you're encouraging me to perhaps be a
little more aggressive in studying the manuals and tackling problems
on my own, but I don't see you saying things like what's quoted
below to anyone else here who is asking questions.  Maybe all this
stuff is trivial to you and it seems like child's play, but some of
us are still learning.  I don't want to be afraid to ask for info
and advice on here, just because you think it's easy stuff.  Others
have shown a clear-cut willingness to help others without insults,
as do most of the participants of this forum and the DML.  Anyway,
I'm not here to make enemies, we would probably laugh and get along
great in person, but I just wanted to state my peace on this subject.
   As for the heat situation in my car, when I got home from a drive
on Friday night, before switching off the engine I turned the mode
swtich down to A/C from the "heater" position (just to run the
compressor for a moment to excercise the seals, etc..) and when I
got to the "vent" position, a whirring motor came on under the dash
and hot air blew out of the middle console vents!!  I couldn't not
beleive it.  It didn't do this before, it did nothing just like
heater and deforst do nothing.  I did notice that the "vent"
position was a bit finicky, and took a bit of "jiggling" the switch
to get the motor/blower to come on at a second attempt.  (Elvis, I
guess you would call it a "Wackelkontakt").  So the theory of dirty
electrical contacts on the mode switch seems very likely.  Since the
car has always been in hot Texas before I got it, maybe the previous
owner never selected anything above A/C, and so now the contacts are
a bit dirty.  I will check it out.  Bill, I'll check out those wires
behind the switch too.
I just want to say I'll be away for the holidays, so I don't know
when the next time I get on here will be.  Might be a week or two.
Merry Christmas to everyone, und Fröhliche Weihnachten.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx>

wrote:

> But shouldn't Derek then observe that the A/C-Compressor should
>turn on when when he sets it to vent or heater ?
>  If it is like you say then I really wonder how bad people know
their cars or how bad they observe the things that happen with it.

> Elvis

> --Derek wrote:
>
> Joe, Rich, & Elvis,
>
> Elvis, I bought my car in Houston in the middle of the summer.
The
> fan obviously worked because I ran the air conditioning during the
> test drive, but checking if the heating worked was the absolute
last
> thing on my mind.  Summer + Houston = Really Hot Outside
> I will definitely take a look at the electrical contacts on the
mode
> switch.  But what you were saying about Fuse 18, there's nothing
> wrong with that fuse, right?  The problem is more likely in the
mode
> switch, as you said?
> Also, I bought all 3 manuals 4 months before I got the car, but
I'm
> not as mechanically inclined as you.  You're the guy with this
> website, right? With the lift in the garage and everything?
> (down at the moment)
> http://retroserver.no-ip.com/
> I used your front speaker replacement how-to.  It was very helpful.
>
> Alright, I'll check out the stuff you guys suggested.
>
> Thanks again,
> -Derek L
> VIN 5302

click here