[DMCForum] Re: Laughter (Repowering a DeLo)

[DMCForum] Re: Laughter (Repowering a DeLo)

Am not totally clear of your intentions, but if your plan is to put
the 305 and GM transmission into a DeLo, be aware that some
significant reverse engineering is going to be necessary on the
engine, and absolute ground up engineering would be necessary on the
trans (basically is not possible without a custom differential). DeLo
uses an inline transmission with the differential *BETWEEN* the
flywheel and gearcase -- totally different from either traditional
rear wheel drive or transverse front wheel drive. Even a transverse
transmission won't work because the driveline will still be parallel
to the rear wheels (unless you're planning to engineer in a transverse
engine too, which basically takes you to where JZD first started
before ending up with what we now have -- you'd be outsmarting The
Man). Your only hope might be an inline transmission from the
downsized ElDorado.

Regarding the engine itself, it is indeed possible to repower a DeLo.
Been done many times. But even swapping with a different engine in the
PRV family is a pain in the assets. It only gets worse from there.
Notice, however, that every repower (except Rick Gendreau) still uses
the Renault transmission (or perhaps its Chrysler imitation? Anyone
know?). Not only do you have the funny differential issue, but space
is very limited in the rear "Y" to engineer anything else. Rick built
his own frame.

I'd recommend buying an *OPERABLE* DeLo to cut your teeth on. Trust
me: there will be plenty of issues other than the drivetrain to keep
you occupied. Plus rare is the person who can remain enthused about an
automobile that sits out of service for extended periods of time,
which repowering usually requires (sometimes more than a year).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nun Yah" <joshp1986@xxxx> wrote:
>
> I got a plan if the motor and tranny go out. I have a buddy that is a
> mechanic and has a chevy 305 with a tranny that has 150 miles that he
> was tring to sell me to put in my gutless cutless, but it's not a
> DeLorean and my VW started giving me trouble
> again when I bought the Olds, so I got both running but another one
> of my buddies broke two rokerarms and tore up the crankshaft, how,
> beats me. But since I bought the car for $100 and he helps me with
> the VW I figured I would let him off on buying the parts to fix his
> wrath damage. I hope the motor and tranny can fit in a DeLorean.
>     -Josh
> P.S. Thanks for not laughing. Math is my favorite class;-)
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lauren" <LPLand@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  >Adults do laugh at me all the time
> >
> > I'm not laughing at you.  I think it's great that a kid your age
> has
> > saved so much money.  I just want to see you buy a D that's
> > reasonably reliable so you can actually enjoy driving it, even if
> it
> > means saving a little more money for a little longer.  Do the
> math ;)

click here