[DMCForum] CPR education for McCoy (Was: Problems starting)

[DMCForum] CPR education for McCoy (Was: Problems starting)

Tom,

The "CPR" or control pressure regulator provides a constant pressure
against the metering plunger in the fuel distributor.

As you know, the air/flow meter is like a see-saw. When you push on
the pedal, the throttle plates open, vacuum(air flow) sucks the big
disc down and pushes metering plunger up. The CPR provides a counter-
force pushing the plunger down.

The big deal with the CPR is that it has a "warm up" cycle. Inside
the thing is a heater element. When the engine is cold, the diaphram
is in a different position, providing less counter-force, allowing
the plunger to move up more easily, giving the cylinders more fuel.
After a couple of minutes the heater in the CPR causes the diaphram
to change, increasing the counter-force against the disc, cutting
the fuel to the proper amount for a warm engine.

There's a little more to it than that, but I'm just giving you the
basics.

Troubleshooting:

If the CPR is clogged or the element is ruined your control pressure
could be higher or lower than it's supposed to be during normal
operating conditions causing hard-starting, poor fuel economy, loss
of power, etc.

I've no idea of the history of your car so I can't say if the whole
fuel system is shot and needs overhauled or what. Your best
investment would be an $80.00 Bosch K-Jetronic fuel pressure test
kit from JC Whitney. Properly used, this can save you hundreds of
dollars in unnecessary parts purchases from guessing.

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thomaspaulmccoy"
<thomaspaulmccoy@xxxx> wrote:

> Walt I think you might be on to something.  I couldn't figure out
> why the CPR would cause my problem.  Maybe I need a better
education
> on what a CPR does.  I thought it was a fuel capactor, keeping
fuel
> pressure constant.
>
> > You need to better define what you mean by "a while".
>
> That is technical lingo fo' "I haven't had time to scientifically
> study it".  It seems as though trying to restart it anywhere from
20
> minutes to 1.5 hours later is futile.  During this period of time
> the only solution is pushing the car then popping it in gear.
>

> TM (recluse VIN 6921)

click here