Re: [DMCForum] Problems starting car after driving, then leaving parked

Re: [DMCForum] Problems starting car after driving, then leaving parked for an hour.

I'm many e-mails behind as usual, so without knowing what was said recently, I'll tell of my experience:

When a hot start problem is caused by low fuel pressure, it normally happens within a narrow time interval -- from immediately shutting the engine off to maybe a couple of minutes.

And you say:
> I'm having problems starting car
> after driving, then leaving it parked for a while.

You need to better define what you mean by "a while".  My daily driver has what I call a 'warm start' problem.  This means that starting with a cold engine, I can drive 1 mile and park it.  Within 30 minutes of this it will start just fine.  But if it sits for anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour or more, it is very hard to start.  I think this is due to the thermo-time switch being out of range.  If this is true then the engine is cold enough to need the cold start valve to squirt, but the thermo-time switch thinks that the engine is still warm enough not to need it.  The engine acts like it is too lean when I start it.  Once it stumbles for a few seconds then it runs properly.

Someday I'll put a meter on the thermo-time switch to check what it is doing.  In the mean time, I have too many more urgent things that the car needs.

Walt

click here