Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ads on these messages

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, ryanpwright wrote:

> There are several of us with private servers capable of handling this
> traffic. Reliability is not usually a concern - my server has been down
> maybe a couple of hours total in the last year.

Indeed.  Same here.  One of the perqs of working for an ISP is free
colocation with excellent backup power.  :-)

While it's really easy to handle the load of a mailing list like this
(heck, a 386 could do it without breaking a sweat) Yahoo! does offer nice
archiving, searching, and web-based access (note that the "nice" adjective
is attached only to archiving and not to their sorry search engine), and
any alternative someone set up would really need to offer those features
as well to compete.

-andrew

click here