[DMCForum] torsion bar fix (attn: Walt and Jack)...

[DMCForum] torsion bar fix (attn: Walt and Jack)...

During this weekend's get together, one of the cars we were to work on had
the rear roof plate lifting and bending.  This didn't look as bad as Jack's,
but the fix was so very easy to do and is probably better than the
recommended pop-rivets.  Jack, yours sheared off, right?

We decided to drill two holes, each in the inner area of the torsion bars.
The plate on this car was bent enough so the torsion bars would not slide
out, and the passenger side was lifting from the car.  We unloaded the bars
which were a bit over-tourqued, removed the retaining plates, drilled the
holes, put the bolts through and slowly tightened the ny-locks down to bring
the plate back to where it should be.  The torsion bars were then able to
slide in and out as intended.

We used flat washers on each side and only heard an ever-so-slight hint of
fiberglass being stressed on only one side of the car.  Walt, you mentioned
being concerned about the fiber glass cracking.  That wasn't an issue as the
metal gave more than the 'glass ever thought about.  There was also plenty
of room between the bolt heads and the T-panel but we added some foam strips
to prevent any dings should someone push down too hard.  The excess bolt
length was cut and everything went back together in a matter of minutes,
including adjusting the torsion bars to the proper setting.

Everything went perfectly smooth and I will be doing this to my car as well,
even though the rear section is not lifting.  This was one more of those
things people say is too hard to do and should be left to the professionals,
but like everything else when we were done we looked at each other and said,
"that was it?  What's all the hype about?"

I have posted some pictures in the photo section under "T-panel repair".

Greg

click here