  From: Flavia
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 10:29 AM
  Subject: [DMCForum] Re: your first impression of DMC

  Very nice idea, Walt!
  Here's my DeLorean story. I was a little kid when my parents and
  their friends dropped all the kids off at the movies to see BTTF
  while they went shopping. I had no idea what the movie was about, but
  I always liked futuristic movies, so I was excited when I saw the
  word "future" in the title. In fact I had just learned how to read :)
  LIttle did I know that most of the movie was in the 50's! Anyways, I
  saw Michael J. Fox and I was already happy because I was a big fan of
  Alex Keaton, he is so cute!
  Then Doc Brown showed Marty the time machine, I saw the gullwing
  doors and I was amazed. I don't have to say that I just loved the
  movie even though I didn't understand thoroughly. I still remember
  when I left the movies, I ran to my dad and I told him: you should
  have seen the car in the movie (he loves cars!)
  In January 1987 I went on vacation with my family to California and
  we went to the Universal Studios. My dad had a camcorder in his hands
  (I still have the tape) and I of a sudden I said: Look, Back to the
  Future, then my dad catches me with the camera running towards the
  DeLorean on  display and this huge movie poster. And I said: this is
  the future car, the time machine, I tried to open the door, it was
  locked of course. Then my parents called me and I walked backwards
  still staring at the car. I watched that part of the video over and
  over again.
  Then in May 2003, I was driving down Route 18, a busy road here in NJ
  and I saw a car that looked like a D, but the traffic was heavy, the
  car was way ahead of me and it was so sunny that I couldn't see a
  thing, I still chased that car like a maniac. Guess what, it wasn't a
  DeLorean. Later on I thought that if that was one, I'd never have
  been able to chase it driving a Neon!
  Over a year later, June 2004, I was lost in Pigeon Forge looking for
  the DeLorean car show, then I saw one pulling out of the smoky
  shadows hotel, I can't even describe my amazement, I didn't even look
  making the U turn. And someday I'll own one :) For those who don't
  know, I saw all the details about Pigeon Forge on bttf.com, there was
  no one I could travel with, so I was about to give up when I decided
  to rent a car and go by myself, 700 miles each way, worth every mile!

  Flavia - NJ
  VP of BITCH :)
  --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
  > I'm starting a fun thread here.  I want to hear everyone's opinion
  what they felt when they first saw a DeLorean in person.  What was
  your impression?  What emotions did you feel when you sat in the car?

  > I followed my dad into a Buick dealership.  He was interested in a
  Buick, of course.  And I was a bored teenager who came across an
  irresistible temptation.  There it was with the gullwing door open
  inviting me to sit in it.  As I climb in, being the lanky teenager
  that I was, my knee bumped the horn button on the end of the turn
  signal.  Being indoors in a showroom, it was LOUD.  And being so
  young, I was seen only as a nuisance.  "Hey kid!  Get outta
  there!   ... and by the way, how did you get the horn to work?"  They
  wrongly assumed it was in the center of the steering wheel.

  > As I sat in the car, I looked around.  Everything seemed so foreign
  & exotic yet comfortable & safe.  I felt like I was getting a glimpse
  of a toy that only a very rich person would play with.  As I sat in
  the driver's seat, my neck did a lot of craning.  The front where the
  engine SHOULD have been was small & low.  The net over the rear
  parcel shelf looked like a chain link fence adding to the 'off
  limits' feeling.  Looking thru the rear window gave a shaded view
  over the engine compartment and under the louvers.  It added to the
  close, compact feel of everything.

  > Actually owning one of these cars one day was pretty far from my
  mind.  I never considered owning one even while watching all the BTTF
  trilogy.  I assumed that they were too expensive and you couldn't get
  parts.  Then one day while waiting in a barber shop, I passed the
  time looking thru an autotrader.  "Hey look, a DeLorean.  Only
  $19.5K.  And here's another one for $17.5K.  I cant believe something
  so cool is priced so cheap.  I should get one."  And I did.