[DMCForum] Re: Gasoline Prices and the election

[DMCForum] Re: Gasoline Prices and the election

It doesn't matter if it's a democracy or a republic, I think that the
point jack was trying to make its taht, the one who has more votes
wins. Otherwise, what is the point in having an election?
Anyways... we always have to back up what we say right? so I looked
up in thh dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=republic

re·pub·lic  (r-pblk) n.

1. a)A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in
modern times is usually a president.
   b)A nation that has such a political order.

2. a)A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of
citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives
responsible to them.
   b)A nation that has such a political order.

If we look at 2a. it says that citizens vote for officers!!!!
Therefore, in a republic, we also vote and the one who has more votes
is the winner.

As for Democracy:

de·moc·ra·cy    (d-mkr-s)
n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies
1.Government by the people, exercised either directly or through
elected representatives.
2.A political or social unit that has such a government.
3.The common people, considered as the primary source of political
power.
4.Majority rule.
5.The principles of social equality and respect for the individual
within a community.

Yes, we also vote in a democracy! All I know is that I really hope we
will know who the new president will be in a timely fashion. Also
hoping it won't be Bush :)

Flavia

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "checksix3" <jetjock11@xxxx> wrote:

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > I may be wrong but generally in a democracy the winner is the one
> with the
> > most votes....
>

> You are wrong, in a very big way. First of, this isn't a democracy,
> it's a republic. Second, you need to study in detail how the
> electoral college works and learn something about "faithless
> electors".

click here