Re: [DMCForum] Re: Clean air and Coal fired power plants

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Clean air and Coal fired power plants

Marc,

Your statement about the air being so clean was an accurate observation.

During the power outage,  the coal fired power plants were shut down.
An airplane fly over of the atmosphere was done during those days as
part of a program studying the transport of coal fired power plant
emissions.

The results of the air monitoring on these days was shocking.   Yes,
sulfur dioxide levels dropped 90%,  BUT THE BIG SURPRISE was OZONE
levels dropped 50% in the upper transport layer.   THIS WAS TOTALLY
UNEXPECTED.   Everyone has always blamed OZONE on automobile polution.
However, this layer of the atmosphere should not have experienced this
much of a decrease.  The conclusion was that power plant chemical
emissions significantly added to OZONE problems.

This was an argrument that I had with a college professor in 1972.   The
Ozone level increase tracked coal use and auto use, but he would not
agree that coal was also a source of ozone precusors.    Well, after all
these years, the research finally showed what I argued 25 years. ago.

BOB

click here