[DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

[DMCForum] Re: throw-out bearing replacement

We got the transmission out today.  I'm glad we got a real
tranny jack.  Because the input shaft has to slide out of
the clutch disk, it is important to have a jack that can
tilt/swivel.  I found that it is very important to support
the transmission at the proper angle to get it to slide off.
Once we had it almost out, it was hard to get the shaft to
clear the clutch fingers.

The hardest part of the removal was removing the upper two
bolts mating the bell housing to the engine block.  The
upper one on the drivers side was an absolute pita.  At one
point I was wondering if I would have to pull the engine to
get better access.  Luckily I was able to fit an impact
wrench in there after cutting the tie straps holding the
aircon hose to move it out of the way.  This was one of
NAPA's better impact wrenches, and the max rated 90psi was
not enough.  I upped it to a little over 100psi, and it
still took a minute or so of hammering to get it off.  I had
to lay on my back with a pillow softening the sharp edges of
the jack.

This transmission had been out before, so I'm wondering what
the previous mechanic did to get it so tight.  I didn't
notice any thread locker in there.  The lower dust shield
was missing.  I'm sure it was so nice of him to just throw
it away and not say anything.

The throwout bearing had pretty well seized up causing the
outer race to wear on the clutch fingers making them paper
thin.  John Hervey warned about this.  I now see why it is
bad to keep driving with a noisy bearing.

If I were doing it again, I still might rather pull the
engine & tranny together.  I would have had to do that
anyway if the upper two bolts didn't come loose.

Can anyone say if pulling an automatic transmission would be
any different?  I suppose the torque converter would unbolt
from the flywheel and drop straight down.  Since the
automatic is bigger, I dont think there would be enough room
to slide it forward like you have to do with a manual.

We have the flywheel at a machine shop to be resurfaced.
Does anyone know the specs on that?  The surface was in good
condition except for some heat cracking.  The machinist said
that it isn't a problem.  Why do they make the flywheels so
heavy?  It seems they could be lightened up quite a bit.

Walt    Tampa, Florida

click here