[DMCForum] Re: Paying for college

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxx> wrote:
> Ok Ryan,
>
> I've got to chime in on this.  In your last "essay"
> post, you said $20 ain't much and you make 100 of them
> a week.  According to my primative math, that comes
> out to $104,000 a year.  You may call that middle
> class but for those of us slightly above the poverty
> line, that's far from it.  Oh, and by the way, does
> your wife work and add to that $104k income?

1. I make a lot less than $104k a year. In fact, I probably make less
than most people here; case in point, Pigeon Forge was NOT in my
budget this year as much as I would have liked it to be. The "100 of
them a week" comment was provided as an example statement. If you
re-read that message in context, it should be clear.

2. My wife is a stay at home mother. I provide the only income to my
family.

3. Slightly above the poverty line? And you own a DeLorean? That's
funny. I can only assume anyone in that situation is:

(a) young, as in "I bought the car with help from my parents a few
years ago" or "I saved up for years while living with parents and
bought the car then", or:

(b) makes terrible monetary decisions, or:

(c) had a middle class income at one time, lost it and can't bare to
part with the car even though common sense says you should, or:

(d) somehow got a really good deal on the car and doesn't know that it
should be sold at a profit and that money used to better the immediate
financial situation (see (b)).

I don't mean to come off as, well, mean, but I find the idea that
someone barely scraping by in poverty would also choose to own a
DeLorean a bit ridiculous. Not that it doesn't happen, but wow, where
are the financial priorities here? In a case like that, I would
completely understand why a couple would fight over finances.

> It's not that I'm picking on you, because you do make
> some valid points.  It's just that sometimes, you make
> statements that are not backed up by fact...

I agree - I do make statements that are not backed up by facts. I
can't provide any facts in this discussion, only speculation and
heresay. I simply happen to know that a lot of people who could easily
afford to buy a few toys here and there go through life doing without
solely because their spouse has control issues. And when people like
Farrar talk about buying all of his toys before he gets married,
because after that it's all over, that only reinforces what I already
believe too many men are needlessly putting up with.

-Ryan

click here