[DMCForum] Re: controling mold in interior

[DMCForum] Re: controling mold in interior

Sounds like me & Demitri would get along great, aside from fighting
over the armor-all bottle. I've had many people tell me about the
Armor-All "fog" on the window, but I never get it, even in the
occasional time when the car is outside. Perhaps it is the method I
apply armor-all to the dash & vinyl. I use natural sponges soaked
with it and apply it heavily and evenly. Then another 2-4 coats of
literally massaging it in with lots of droplets sprinkled and then
rubbed into the material. Then an hours or so later wiping the
overly thick excess off with the same sponge for a deep lustrous
sheen, and the dash & binnacle are soft and pliable to the touch.

And decoding the urban legend with the dash cracking with armor-all
is pretty simple after you listen to several stories. Most guys buy
a car second hand, usually older cars (since most plastic junk
nowadays will outlast me) give the dash a few liberal coats of Armor-
All, then start driving it again. Well after not being treated for
years and being brittle with just a few applications of Armor-All
applied, the dash cracks from the heat and the UV stress. Then the
owner curses Armor-All and warns everyone they know to avoid it
because it caused the dash to crack. "it would have never cracked if
it wasn't for that damn Armor-All" Then they buy a new dash or
something else vinyl and use 2001 solely on it, and since it is
conditioned right from day 1, it never cracks, and now the owner is
for sure it was Armor-All's fault. If only he used 2001 on the dash
first the story would have been reversed, which is why both brands
sell good. Most people just don't think beyond the box.

I bought a new vinyl dash for my 65 mustang, and since it was in the
winter I basically soaked it on & off for 3-4 months before it was
installed, then liberal treatments weekly after it was installed,
Since I drove that car to work in the hot summer months and left it
outside everyday for over 6 years, and not one crack when the vinyl
was treated & conditioned properly from the beginning. Same case
with any vehicle with a vinyl dash, it has to be conditioned. AKA
you can't polish a turd and expect it to shine, it has to be able to
be polished.

But if it wasn't for high brow thinkers there wouldn't be an entire
isle of junk products in Auto Stores full of snake oils that can
magically cure ANY auto problem in a can.

Just don't let the Armor-All urban legends frighten anyone away from
using it on their vehicles. Never any bad or harmful side effects
come from it.

Whew, I'm done with the Armor-All preaching now.

Later,

Joe

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Joe, you sound like Demetri in Clearwater, FL with his
> Armor-All abuse. ;-)  I dont think there is a spot on his
> car that I can touch that wont leave my fingers greasy
> either from Armor-All, stainless steel polish or grease he
> rubs on the frame & suspension pieces.  My biggest problem
> with Armor-All was from using it on dashes.  When left out
> in the sun, the Armor-All tends to evaporate and then
> accumulate on the windshield making it all greasy & nasty.
>
> Additionally I have heard folk lore & urban legend that
> Armor-All tends to rot & deteriorate vinyl.  I cant say if
> that is true or not, but I have learned from experience that
> it evaporates onto glass and leaves a sticky residue
> everywhere that attracts dust.
>
> I didn't take any pic of the mold this time, but I have some
> really hairy mold shots of my car from a few winters ago.
> I'll post them when I come across them again.  The weather
> gets really cold & chills everything down.  Then it rains
> and gets very hot.  All the humidity condensates
> everywhere -- on the walls, floors, doors, cars (inside &
> out) all over the engine, interior, etc.  Even my tools that
> are put away get wet from the humidity.  It is just like
> taking the entire house and its contents out of a
> refrigerator and setting it on a counter to thaw.  The most
> amusing thing, tho, is watching fish swim thru the air when
> the humidity gets thick enough. ;-)  I call these winter
> rains from hell.
>
> > And they way you phrase it Walt, how many
> Deloreans do you have now down there?
>
> I got 4 right now, but I'm trying to cut back.  I can only
> drive one at a time, and for the last several weeks none of
> them run.
>
> Walt

click here