Re: [DMCForum] Serious door alignment issue

Re: [DMCForum] Serious door alignment issue

Jordan,

I heard of a situation where a windshield cracked from
closing a door while the car was parked on an uneven
surface.  And I wouldn't be surprised to see a broken
windshield from pushing a car with the door open (if you
push from the corner of the windshield.)  So you are saying
that closing the door on a screwdriver also broke the
windshield?

There is a slight adjustment where the front hinge attaches
to the door.  I dont know if it is really supposed to be an
adjustment, tho.  I find that all DeLoreans tend to have the
front of the door a little too low such that when the door
is closed, the very front edge by the windshield is down too
low while the back of the door is too high.  This really
pisses me off, and I'm bound to take a window out and twist
the door to where I think it should be. ;-)  The reason for
taking the window out is that it is likely to break by the
time I'm thru twisting the door.  I might try this with a
wrecked painted door that already has the window falling
out.

How I make the adjustment to the front hinge is I first
release the torsion bar and loosen both bolts holding the
hinge to the door.  Then I pry the top edge of the door as
far away from the hinge as possible and then tighten it
down.  This doesn't raise the front as much as I would like
to see on most cars, but it is better than nothing.

So before I saw your photos, I was getting excited that you
found an effective way to raise the front of the door closer
to where it should be. ;-)

My theory is that the hinge bent between the pivot point and
where it bolts to the door.  Probably the only way to tell
for sure is to take the door off and compare the hinge with
another one.  Used hinges aren't scarce since so many cars
have been parted out and these hinges are durable.

I dont think it would be worthwhile fabricating something
new out of stainless unless you intend it to replace the
front hinge altogether a la Chris Nicholson's bling-bling
like his all stainless hinges for the rear louvers.

At this point, I suggest removing the headliner and seeing
what the fiberglass looks like underneath.  And what is with
all the black paint in the area?  Did someone spray it with
tar/undercoat?

Walt
p.s. bling-bling is ebonics for what people who speak
ebonics do to pimp out their cars here in the States. ;-)

click here