[DMCForum] transmission adjustment

I am working on a manual transmission that was leaking badly
from the drivers side ear-thingy that goes to the half axle.
A previous mechanic sliced up the inside of the big
ring/adjustment-nut that holds the seal which was causing
the leak, so I had to replace it.  Now I don't know how to
find the proper adjustment (how tight to turn the
ring/adjustment-nut with all the little teeth on it.)  The
manual says to put it back just like you found it.  But by
replacing this part, the adjustment is lost.  Or is it?  Any
suggestions?  How am I supposed to find this adjustment from
scratch?

Things in my favor:  Only the drivers side has been apart.
The passenger side with its adjustment has not been
disturbed.  I still have the pieces that came off and can
probably put them back the way they were.  But still I would
like to know how to make this adjustment from scratch.

Walt

click here