Re: [DMCForum] Re: Battery?

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, mw98gt wrote:

> I plan on getting an optima, that is what I have been looking at.  I
> do not know if I want the red or yellow top, do not completely
> understand the difference, besides price.

The Yellow Top is a deep cycle battery, meaning it can be drained
repeatedly without damaging it.  (Most lead acid batteries will fail to
take a new charge after as little as a dozen cycles.  They are not
designed to be drained.)

If you have a problem with your car draining your battery, and it sounds
like this is a possibility, a deep cycle battery might be a good
investment.  (You should obviously still find out what's causing the
drain, but at least you won't eat a few batteries while figuring it out.)

A deep cycle battery is also nice if you're like me and have no brain and
leave your headlighs on about once a month.  :)

I've replaced all the batteries on my computer UPSes with smaller marine
deep cycle batteries, so when the power goes out, I don't have to worry
about damaging my batteries.  (People who think that a UPS is designed to
be used to cover extended power outages are sorely mistaken and learn
expensive lessons when their UPS batteries die after a dozen cycles.)

-andrew

click here