[DMCForum] Re: Drying time for 3M glue when installing eyebrow bars??

[DMCForum] Re: Drying time for 3M glue when installing eyebrow bars??

Walt and others,

I used the prescribed 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide by 14" long size.  I
found this exact thickness and width in 36" lengths at Home Depot.
They had heavy steel and aluminum.  I opted for the aluminum, as for
me it's preventative.  The hardened steel may work better if you
already have eyebrows, just make sure to rust-proof it.

I took the highbeam out on one side first and left the other side in
so I could compare/measure things when test fitting the first bar.
Turns out I cut a curve out of one end of each bar, because it looked
like the black "filler" piece between the high and low beam wouldn't
clear the metal bar.  Also, very important, is that I HIGHLY
recommend using surgical gloves when you get to the gluing part.  The
3M window glue I bought at Advance Auto Parts (3M P/N 08609) is
possibly the absolute messiest stuff I have ever touched.  It's like
tar, only worse.  It took me about 20-30 minutes to clean my hands
using lacquer thinner and a scrub brush.

I took pictures of everything, and am putting my highbeams and
grill back in tomorrow.  I'll post the pics after that.

Here's another webpage you might want to look at.  It helped me.
http://forum.deloreans.org/viewtopic.php?t=48

-Derek
VIN 5302

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Derek,
>
> The main thing that I hear is to not use metal strips that
> are too wide or you will have a clearance problem with the
> headlight brackets.  I'm due to de-eyebrow a fasica myself,
> so I'm curious to see photos/procedures, etc.
>
> Walt    Tampa, Florida

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada