[DMCForum] Resetting the fuel system

Hi All,

I have stupidly disconnected the inertial fuel cut-off switch that is
next to the Lambda counter near the clutch pedal, resulting in the fuel
pump not running and the engine stopping from lack of fuel. Once I
realised what I'd done, I reconnected it, but still can't get the
engine to start. (Note that the pop-up button on top of the inertial
cut-off hadn't popped up and is still pressed in.) Poking around with a
multimeter, I've noticed that there's almost no voltage coming down the
wires to the switch (looks like 0.25v) which I feel sure isn't enough
to power the pump. I've also noticed that there's no continuity across
the cut-off and I'm thinking that perhaps there has to be a certain
amount of electricity around to 'power' the cut-off, before a circuit
is made. My car has circuit breakers rather than fuses, but none of
them has popped, so I'm discounting a 'blown fuse' as a cause.

Is there something special I have to do after disconnecting the cut-off
switch to 'reset' the system (i.e. is there another switch that needs
resetting up-circuit?) and would people here expect that simply
disconnecting and reconnecting the cut-off would prevent the car from
working?

Martyn
Vin #5284.

click here