[DMCForum] Re: cooling fan follow-up

I had the same problem with my fan fix BUT IT WASN"T THE FAN FIX!!!
I just want to clear up any confusion on that.  I too had 20amp fuses
in it at the time.  What happened to me was apparently a piece of
debris was in the fan the fan to work harder and draw more currente.
John explained to me that it was like the political term "Boiling the
Frog"  This is like when you gradually up the hot water in the shower
you can eventually take almost all hot water and no cold, but in
contrast if you jumped in the shower with it already only hot you
would get burned.

My fuses kept taking more and more current slowly and not a big surge
and that is why they didn't blow but melted instead.  Hopefully John
can comment on this as he explains it MUCH better than I can.  Long
story short I have a new Fan Fix and am running 15amp fuses and no
problems.

Michael
Vin#02944
Orlando

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Itzel <eric@xxxx> wrote:
> First of all, thank you to everyone who posted on this.

> I found the problem- melted fuses. I have John Hervey's Fan fix
module
> in my car, and the inline fuses that are used in the fan-fail
connector
> actually melted together. The fuses didn't blow, though. I believe
this
> happened because of the way I had the whole module "tucked" in a
small
> crevice, and the fuses were side by side. Add that, and running the
AC
> more than usual with the summer heat and there is a potential
scenario
> of hot fuses. The wire, fuse holders, and everything else held up,
but
> those fuses are shot! I replaced them with 15amp fuses (there were
> formerly 20amp) and I always keep spares with me, so this should
solve
> this problem.

> Just for the record, the unit is 2 years old, so I'm not saying
anything
> about the Fan Fix module- it's good stuff. Every part has a life,
and
> those little fuses had all they could stand of DeLorean voltage.

> I also found the 25amp circuit breaker that powers both the door
locks
> and the RPM relay appears to be shot- the RPM relay wires were very
hot
> to touch and the connectors were starting to smolder. I guess it's
time
> to replace all of that 23 year old crap in that compartment..

> Thanks again!

> Eric
> vin 4433

click here