Re: [DMCForum] Re: Clutch replacement procedure

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Clutch replacement procedure

You are correct you do not have to surface the flywheel, but once you
have access to it the extra cost and labor are minimal.  And with a
clean freshly surfaced flywheel you have a much better chance that  the
new clutch will seat properly and won't glaze.

Personally if  it was a car I was fixing up to sell/dump quickly I
wouldn't mess with it.  But anything that I want to keep I would cut a
couple thou off the face and maybe lighten up the back side a bit.
Anyone (Martin) know how much mass can be removed from the flywheel of
the PRV before it starts to affect how it runs?  On the AC VW's you can
take the stock 20+lb flywheel down to about 11-12lb before you feel a
difference on a street car, and the racers use a 5-7lb wheel.

Andrei

ryanpwright wrote:

>Also.... The clutch kit says the friction surface of the flywheel MUST
>(in big bold capital letters) be resurfaced.
>
>Is this so? Or is it more like brake rotors, where it's often claimed
>you have to resurface the rotors but if they aren't grooved or
>otherwise damaged you don't really have to?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>-Ryan

click here