RE: [DMCForum] Re: Paying for college

Well I guess since you had a buddy who had those opportunities given to him
and turned out poorly, we all should heed your advice and when our kids turn
18 thrust them out in the cold so they become bitter broke adults.  I too
had a similar buddy.  But there is one difference between him and I, our
parents...

I have been very lucky, my father designed a melting furnace that made us
lots and lots of money ( in fact I currently own 3 homes they bought for me
in cash, plus college was a drop in the bucket for my parents and I still
made it in 4 years and with a 3.+ gpa...I must be terribly irresponsible),
but not before I was in High School.  Before that we lived in a 1000 sq foot
ranch house and my parents worked multiple jobs.  Those jobs were for me
(not all obviously but you get the point).  They made the decision to make
me the focal point of their lives and give me whatever I needed to be a good
person.  Even then College was a must.

I have never wrecked a car and had it replaced by them, but had I wrecked
one the insurance would have covered repairs.  I am well rounded, never
abused their generosity.  I am now 30 years old, am married and have 2 kids.
I go out now and cover the area throwing aluminum rims into my trailer as I
cover junk yards in Fl.  Not very glamorous and I am sure if I were
irresponsible I would blow off such menial work, but when we sold our old
business and decided to start another one away from competition with the new
owners, we do what is necessary to succeed.  Those who know me learn of our
success, but those who just meet me most of the time cannot tell, because I
was raised to respect everything and everyone.  To this end I intend to do
the same for my kids.  I was handed everything when I needed it and
appreciate it all.

I am sorry if I ranted, but your thoughts hit a soft spot with me.  I
thought most people look at their children as the future and would do
whatever they could to help them.  Never did I expect all parents to pay for
their kids college, only if they could.

Jack Stiefel
www.fmtimemachine.com
Direct listen link: www.live365.com/stations/radiocape