[DMCForum] Part of the problem? (Ignition)

[DMCForum] Part of the problem? (Ignition)

My whamo-dyne, new ignition components arrived today. Just to prep, I
figured I'd break a few spark plugs loose and inspect them. Bill and
some other folks recommended this.

What I found was quite strange to me. The plugs looked exactly as I'd
expected, yellow-ish insulator with sooty, rich, black carbon on
everything except the tip of the electrode from un-burned fuel caused
by ignition mis-fire.

The exception? A perfect groove had been deeply burned into the
electrode of every single plug. (Not the hook part, the "penis" part)
I know some plugs are "split-fire" with split electrodes but I did
NOT buy those. The groove is very deep on some of the plugs, and not
always cut -precisely- in the center.

Is this caused by an over-voltage condition at the ignition coil? I
did foolishly purchase plugs 1 heat range higher than OEM. They are
NGK TRW-5's.

I bought Bosch plugs of the proper heat range and quality wires this
time. I also bought a new rotor and I'm glad. If the plugs look like
that, I wonder what remains of the 5k Ohm resistor in the rotor.

If anyone needs me, I'll be writing 100 times on my kids'
chalkboard: "I do not know more than automotive engineers".

Rich A.

click here